Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's one of those days.

*Be warned this is ranty and most likely just this side of insane*
I'm thinking of changing the name of this blog to "Flip-Flop Weddings" because right now I feel like I cannot make a decision to save my life. Every time I think I am heading in the right direction the compass tells me that it's actually the other way. Like Paula Abdul I'm two steps forward and two steps back...and I should probably be popping some Valium as well.

Today I mentioned to The Mister that I would LOVE to get married this September the weekend before our 10th anniversary. In truth the perfect time to have gotten married was two years ago when our anniversary fell on a Saturday but instead we bought a fixer upper of a house which is now keeping me from getting married this fall by needing a new roof(among other things, but Lord do not get me going about this house!) He said we could if I was willing to be "realistic" apparently I've not been living in reality. Yeah I've had a great day.
Yes I get that we could go to city hall and just have our parents and sisters there. Yes that would indeed be the cheapest option. And honest to God if he just came out and said "I do not want a wedding" then fine, ok, I could deal with it. I would give up the dream I've had for the last 8.5 years and start looking at cute city hall dresses and fascinators. It's not like it would be the first dream I gave up.
But instead I go look at venues, I get photographty quotes from up and coming photographers, I look at invitations, heck I even WIN invitations! I'm coming up with a million and one ways to have an awesome wedding that is totally "us" on a tiny budget and I seem to be the only one that wants it! Any mention of the wedding and he tells me I'm being "unrealistic" like I'm telling him about 10000 dollar gold covered cakes and diamond covered shoes and feeding everyone on lobster and foie gras!
I know that getting married is about marriage and not the wedding, I know! But I also want to celebrate with our very close friends and family, you know? I want an evening where we declare our love, say I do and then celebrate those facts with the people that love us most.

I don't think that's being "unrealistic" at all.

Ok rant over. I will return to my regular breathing schedule now.

6 comments:

CheapAndEasy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CheapAndEasy said...

I regularly debate with myself over how much to spend on this wedding. Which is why I don't even have a venue booked yet & we're getting married in August! I have the opposite thing where J wants to look at everything. The other day when I suggested maybe we should go ahead & book one of the places we saw, he said we've hardly looked at anything (we've been to 4 places). I said No, you've hardly looked at anything. I'VE been online looking & emailing & pricing a ton of places. I only show you the ones that aren't hideous & that we can afford.

What does he think I'm doing on the computer all day? He's an idiot sometimes. I love him but it is what it is.

You have plenty of company in the frustration department. Personally, I love a good rant now & then.

Adrienne said...

Oooh I feel for you! My FH is so completely uninterested in the wedding planning, so if I throw a new idea out there he usually shoots it down. Oh well, I just want to be married already....haha. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Aww, men are just dumb. Say it out loud.

Listen, I know you're in Toronto, so am I. My BF owns a reputable roofing company and if you need your roof done I'm sure he could get it done with a discount.

Just let me know. I'm also a wedding planner so if you need any help or questions let me know!

http://fab.typepad.com

Rachel said...

Boys are dumb sometimes.

Are you willing to wait longer so you can have your dream wedding?If it means that much to you, I think you should!

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

I agree with Rachel, boys are dumb sometimes. I don't think you're being unrealistic at all...quite the opposite! You're working with realistic budget and trying to reflect your style as a couple. I suggest that while weddings can get expensive and over the top, it's also important to celebrate you as a couple, that you've been together over 10 years! Tell him to take the time to cherish and relish!