Saturday, March 7, 2009

Grow your own!

I love gardening. The only good thing about winter in my mind is the onslaught of gardening catalogs that arrive at my door. Looking through them and circling things I want is one of the only things that keeps me sane during the horrid snowy season! This summer I will be planting a GIANT garden. I am in LOVE with oversized flowers. The bigger the better! When my garden is eventually finished(a term I use lightly because a garden is never truly finished and always changing!) I want it to feel like you've entered a magical Wonderland meets OZ meets English cottage, where your senses are turned on their head and there are secrets to find everywhere. Since we have decided to hold a reception party at the end of next summer this gives me two gardening seasons to get as close to that as possible.

Here are some of the beauties I plan on planting this year.

Top Row: Pink Baby's Breath, Sunburst Orange Prima Donna Dinnerplate Begonia, Queen of the Prairie

Middle Row: Star Dahlias, Jean Marie Dinnerplate Dahlia, Supersized Dahlia Mix

Bottom Row: Chocolate Cosmos, Peony Mix, Ranunculus

The dinnerplate and supersized varieties have blooms that are up to 25cm across! How sweet will my niece look carrying a single bloom that is half her height! I just about fell over with the sweetness of that image! Also I hadn't really notice before but apparently my garden is going to be shades of pink, red and orange!

All images: Brecks Bulbs

2 comments:

Jane said...

i want a garden! maybe when i move their will be room!

Jenn said...

You're welcome to come plant in my garden too! I have a black thumb :(