Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And just like that....

I'm not sure when it happened, maybe when I took a serious look at what was going on in my head versus what was going on in our bank accounts, but I finally realised that the one thing I didn't want to do was have a wedding that left us with staggering debt. Debt is not the way to start a marriage in this economy, at least it isn't for me. If there is one thing that has been drilled into my head from reading financial self help books it's "Do not live beyond your means" which I try to abide by.
I also realised that even though I know that I could DIY a wedding worthy of Martha Stewart I probably wouldn't be able to handle that sort of extra stress and could easily see myself having a bit off more than I could chew melt down. So I sat and surfed and thought for a while. I researched even more, I wrote out lists and lists and when I thought I didn't need another list I made a list of my lists.
One thing that had always bothered me was that if we had a traditional wedding it would have to be in the spring of 2010 at the earliest. Autumn is our season. It is when we started dating, it is when we fell in love, it's when we moved into our house, it is when we got engaged. Autumn is our season for so many reasons and it pained me to have a spring wedding when I always wanted an Autumn one. It is also our 10th anniversary this year. We have been together longer than some people are married. All of these things led us to a date. We decided.

Friday September Fourth

Because the Friday closest to our anniversary was September 11th but we liked the look of September 4th as it would most likely always fall close to or on Labour day weekend. It is also exactly 10 years and one month after we first met as well as exactly 10 days before our anniversary. I like the multiple tens. Within two days of deciding on a date we decided on having a high tea reception after the ceremony with just family and closest friends. The biggest factor though is that next September 4th we are going to host a reception party at our house as the majority of the work will be done. There we will renew our vow, hopefully with our newborn child in attendance. Oh yeah I got it all planned out!

6 comments:

Krista said...

YAY! I like September the fourth. It'll probably still feel like summer, but that's okay! I love the summer.

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Awesome plan!!! And I love the high tea aspect.

Adrienne said...

YAY! Congrats on setting a date!! That is so awesome. Now you can plan away. Oh a fall wedding will be so lovely!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, congrats on figuring everything out and picking a date! I wish I was invited!!
http://fab.typepad.com

Mo said...

Congratulations on setting a date and coming up with a plan! How exciting!
My sister's wedding anniversary is also September 4th, and it was a beautiful day.

Katie said...

congrats on picking a date and having a plan!
Now you have lots to do with only 5+ months left!