Friday, March 6, 2009

A happy compromise..

Gosh men are funny.
I think because they are not as into weddings as the lady folk that in general they just don't know what things cost for weddings. They know it's expensive but that's about it. When I told him the price of a photographer he basically had a stroke. Then I explained to him that the price I just gave him was about half the price of most photographers! I'm just resourceful and found someone up and coming(but more on that later!) He couldn't understand why the photographer and the rental of a venue were basically the same price.
I could hear the frown lines forming on his face!

I laid out a plan I came up with for him. I said "If you want we can get married with just our families there this September for our 10th anniversary, we'll do it on a Friday, then September have a big reception party at our house." I said as long as we get to celebrate with our friends and family then I'm ok with that. I had originally wanted to get married at home but with the amount of work the house needs to host such an event well, if we did all that we wouldn't have money to host the darn thing! So that brought us to a stand still. I'll admit that the economy also played a part in our compromise. I have this fear that if we handed over a deposit to a vendor and one of us lost our jobs then we'd lose the money that we would need. The thought of that happening left me anxious and dizzy.

I'm still going over the logistics of a September semi-elopement in my head. I had some rules for it happening which I'll explain later.

After our talk something weird happened though. The Mister was smiling, something that he hadn't done any other time I talked about weddings. He started talking about brewing a special beer for the wedding and for the reception party. He actually got excited about it.

And that made me smile too.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Hahahah... I had the same photog situation, as I think many Brides probably have. Luckily for me, I had my brother-in-law who is now buds with my fiance explain to him how important pics were. :)

Humph to men sometimes. :)

Adrienne said...

Awwww good, I am glad he is getting excited about it!

Krista said...

Wow. It's good he's excited. I don't know if I could do it - a home wedding, I mean.

Wade had a heart attack when he found out some costs. I priced it, and showed the costs of other vendors, and then he calmed down. But I admit, I didn't know how much a photographer would cost, either!