Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Party like it's 1999! (part two)

But the very next day he calls.

He invites me out. I accept. I make sure to tell him that I'm moving home in two weeks and not really looking for anything serious.

We then basically spend every waking moment together after our first "date" we stay up talking until dawn. We watch back to back Law and Order and The Price is Right and drink endless amounts of tea. Every second I'm away from him I'm anxious to see him again. By the end of week one I'm hanging out with his friends who I invite to my party as well.

Day of my party and I'm making vodka jello shooters and spending the day basically making sure I look hotter than Hades. Then it hits me. I'm moving 2 hours away in one week. I even told him that I didn't want anything serious. Oh. The party is a blast, jello shooters will do that. I make sure to drown my sorrows with lots of jello shots and even more Southern Comfort.

The next week is basically a repeat of the week before, it's bliss. When I'm away my heart aches and all I can do is clock watch until I see him again. Then suddenly it's my last day in town. I'm sure I probably cried. I gave him my parents number and we parted ways and all I could think is "He's not going to call. It was just a summer fling." I do some beating up of myself for letting myself feel such things when I was the one who didn't want anything serious. "Stupid, stupid, girl" I think.

Of course he called.
We talked every single night for hours and hours. Then one night suddenly he says "I was just wondering...if you'd be my girlfriend?" I hadn't been asked to be someones girlfriend since...ohhh grade school and thought it was the sweetest thing ever.
Of course I said yes.

Six months later we move in together. He finishes his masters and we paint our apartment the wild colours 20 somethings always seem to. He learns to love my dog who was just six months old when we had met. We get a cat. We move to the city. We buy a house and a year later we get engaged.

I think that even if I hadn't met him in those last weeks of August in 1999 then we would have met eventually. We went to all the same concerts and went to all the same bars in the city. We both think that we would have met at some point somewhere. We were just in the right place at the right time that night.

No comments: